New York Day One

The day after Sasha’s birthday, Trent and I headed to New York to celebrate my 30th birthday and our upcoming 10th anniversary. Trent spent hours before our trip pretty much planning everything, so it was nice not to have to worry about all those things and just enjoy our vacation! And my parents were so awesome to watch the kids for us while we were gone. I think they all had a lot of fun.

Our flight left at 11:30 at night, but I wasn’t too worried cause we didn’t have kids with us (yay!). Unfortunately, neither Trent or slept very much, so luckily there was tv and other things to keep us entertained. When we arrived in New York it was about 5:30 am. We collected our luggage and I got to experience my first New York Taxi ride. Because it was so early in the morning it wasn’t too bad! Trent found a fabulous inn in Manhattan for us to stay. I was so surprised because I had no idea where we were staying. We figured since it was 6:30 we would have to drop our luggage off and come back later to get into our room, but lucky for us the room was available already! The owner was super nice and after we settled in and napped we found a basket full of breakfast food outside our door, and also when we arrived we noticed our kitchen was stocked full of all kinds of snacks and goodies. We then headed out to get some breakfast and do some sightseeing. We had decided beforehand that this trip would center around food, so Trent had all our meals planned out. This was great because we were able to try lots of different restaurants all over the city.

Our first place we ate at was a Jewish Deli called Barney Greengrass. I had a bagel with lox and eggs and Trent had some kind of breakfast bagel sandwich. I alsoh ad hot chocolate which was amazing (oddly enough I had a lot of hot chocolate on that trip, and it was all so good!).


After breakfast we walked over to see the Manhattan Temple. It was fun to see all the people walking down the street in their church clothes to go to church that morning. I also loved that there was such a peaceful feeling evening in the middle of a busy city!


After the temple we headed to Central Park! Sunday was a great day to arrive in the city, It was very laid back and there were lots of families out with their kids. I think I would have been more overwhelmed had it been a regular business day and millions of people were out! I felt like I was eased into this way. Central park was so much fun, I felt like there were so many things to look at and see. I loved all the street performers! Other then getting pooped on by a bird, it was a lot of fun!


After the park the park we walked down 5th Avenue and also through Times Square in order to get to a place we wanted to go to for lunch. After walked more than 40 blocks we realized the place we wanted to eat at was closed! Luckily we were able to switch it out with another place and we just hopped on the subway towards Brooklyn. We were only in a small part of Brooklyn, but it was fun to see a different part of New York. There was a farmers market going on, and lots of families on the sidewalks eating and hanging out. The place we ate at was called Brancaccios Food Shop and it was AMAZING. The best sandwich you will ever have. It was totally a local place with only a hand full of things on the menu. I  do not remember what either of us got, but it was so good and that is all that matters. The owner was super friendly and when we asked him what was good he said, “it is all good, I don’t make bad food”. Very well put! We sat outside on a bench and ate, and also got to know a cute family who told us all the places to eat… the were true Brooklynites too, so it was fun to talk to them.


After lunch we headed back to the Inn, and much to our surprise we had a giant chocolate cake waiting for us! And like all the other food we had that day it was amazing! I also captured some pictures of our room. The Inn was an old brownstone building where each floor was a different suite. Our suite was on the top floor and I loved all the fun decor.


After resting for a bit, we headed out to dinner.  I love Italian food so I was super excited. The atmosphere was just amazing. It was super crowded and loud, but it was prefect! Trent ordered a soup for an appetizer while I ordered fried artichoke hearts. Trent’s soups was pretty good and the fried artichoke hearts were fun to try, and also good, but kind of hard to eat. For our main dish Trent ordered the gnocchi while I got a seafood pasta. Trent’s gnocchi were divine, but my seafood pasta was amazing! The homemade noodles were perfection and the seafood was so fresh and tasty, I was in heaven! After dinner we walked down Times Square and then headed back to the Inn for the night. I loved not having kids around cause it didn’t matter when we went home, when we ate, when we slept, it was amazing!




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *